Five Things Giving Me Life Right Now
I’ve been feeling overwhelmed lately. In talking to many of you on social media it sounds like you’re feeling it too. While in the messy middle of summer, how do you honor your feelings and push through the discomfort?
As many of you know, we’re in the middle of a house remodel. (The full “before” house tour is here and our messy middle house update is here.) We’re also in the middle of one of the hottest summers on record and a global pandemic. I’m thinking a lot about how best to thrive right now and how to practice self-care in the messy middle of life.
Here are five ways to survive the messy middle and practice self-care through this season!
1. Hydrate! Are you drinking enough water every day? This is important. Don’t miss it. Dehydration can make you have all sorts of problems but the biggest culprit for me is FATIGUE. If you have a hard time drinking plenty of water, throw in some fruit, cucumbers or mint leaves. You’ll have instant fancy water that is refreshing and hydrating.
2. Make big decisions slowly and little decisions quickly. I am in the middle of remodeling our new house and selling our old home. I am making about 15 billion decisions a day and experiencing a bit of decision fatigue. It’s exhausting! Here’s my trick for combatting decision fatigue. Ask yourself, is this a big or little decision? If it’s a little decision, don’t overthink — just make the next best choice. If it’s a big decision, give yourself permission to slow down and plan the time to really think about it. The world will not stop turning if you take the time to think through a big decision. (Side note: watch my latest video house update here!)
3. Fix meals that don’t require a big kitchen cleanup. Smoothies and grilling are perfect for this season. My lifesaver right now is grilling enough food for multiple meals. Use leftover grilled chicken to make chicken salad. Or throw the leftover chicken on lettuce to make a yummy salad. Voila! I like to call this “smart lazy.” Ha!
4. Don’t be afraid to ask for help! You cannot do it all and there are no extra points for being Wonder Woman. Hire help to clean your house or watch your kiddos if you can. Grocery and meal delivery has saved me multiple times this summer and don’t feel guilty about it! It’s okay to ask for help. If you’re in a tight financial spot — trade with friends. Watch their kids for an afternoon, then have your friend watch your kids the next afternoon.
5. Laugh! Find a funny meme. Watch a funny movie. Play hide-n-seek with your kids and let yourself LAUGH. Laughter makes everything better.
We are collectively in a frustrating season. Let me remind you to be patient with yourself. PATIENCE. We need it in droves right now, friends. Give yourself grace and extra patience, then extend it to your kids, significant other, co-workers, neighbors, and anyone else you meet.
One final thought: making lists is truly saving my life right now in the most practical way! With self-care, child-care, puppy-care, a house remodel, work, and preparing for my kids to go back to school (or not) this fall, I’m making all the lists. Shop the list lover’s planner, the Week on One Page format, now!
Now, what’s making your life better right now? How are you practicing self-care in the messy middle of the year, the summer, and this crazy season of life?